Functionality is available in the Pro edition
SUV (Standardized Uptake Value) is a value reflecting the intensity of contrast accumulation in
tissues. To measure the SUV:
- Open a series suitable for SUV measuring.
- Select the Image main menu, select the SUV item and the Show SUV command. If
the selected series is not suitable for SUV measuring, then the Show SUV command
is disabled. If SUV measuring is already activated, then the Show SUV command is
marked with a flag.
- If necessary, change the CLUT to [WL]PET by selecting it from the drop-down list or by
pressing the Shift+F8 key combination on the keyboard. For details, see Section 2.17.1.
- If the data contained in the study is insufficient, then the dialog shown in Fig. 2.26 appears.
Specify the following data:
SUV Type. Choose one of four ways to measure SUV:
- by body weight: SUV Body Weight (SUVbw);
- by body surface area: SUV Body Surface Area (SUVbsa);
- by the body mass index according to the James method: SUV Lean Body Mass
(SUVlbm James); For men:
- by the body mass index according to the Janmahasatian method: SUV Lean Body
Mass (SUVlbm Janmahasatian);
Patient weight (Kg) (optional for the method of calculating by body surface
Patient height (cm);
Injected dose (MBq);
Injection date time;
Acquisition date time;
Sex (optional for the method of calculating by body weight and by body surface
- if it is necessary to display the SUV measurement results for ROI tools then check the Use
SUV for ROI tools box.
To measure the SUV, click OK, to cancel the operation, click Cancel. If there is not
enough data to calculate (for example, the patient‘s weight or height is not specified or is
zero), then the OK button is disabled.
- To change the SUV calculation settings, select the Image main menu, select the SUV item and
the Settings... item.
- When the SUV measurement is activated, the value at the point where the cursor is located
appears in the top left-hand corner of the window. For example: SUVlbm (James): -0.092
g/ml. Move the cursor over the image to measure the SUV. Please note that the Display
information button must be pressed (see Section 2.21).
- To calculate the SUV in a particular area or point, use the ROI tools (see Section 2.15.5).
Please note that the Use SUV for ROI box must be checked in the SUV settings.
Figure 2.26: SUV Settings
If the time and the date of the series creation is grater than the time and the date of the study,
then the message Warning: This series may be post-processed in which date of series
creation unrelated to acquisition appears in the SUV Settings dialog.
To disable the SUV measurement, select the SUV in the main menu Image and select the Show
SUV command. The density information will be displayed for the built ROIs.